Netgalley

Professional Reader

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Time Management- We all Probably Need it- or maybe I'm the only weird one...

I think this is one of those issues that is an ongoing and likely life long problem that I will seek the answer for (just like eating healthy).  I truly believe that those things important to a person the person should be able to find the time for.  Just as I have never appreciated the excuse "Sorry I haven't called, I'm just too busy" from a friend you haven't talked to in awhile.  Well they probably are busy, everyone is busy, but the difference is if someone is important to you then shouldn't you make the time.  Like friendship self-care is one of those things I think people let slide, but instead should really be making a priority.  You have to take care of yourself before you take care of others (Nope I didn't think that one up- heard it somewhere).  It is true, but how do you/I fit it all in. 

I have these great goals/ideas/dreams and it seems like they all seem to flood my noggin at the same time.  I'm in the midst in trying to bike, swim and run train, along with continue my love of reading with my children and myself, eat healthy (less of a priority lately and it is evident in how I feel), spend time with those I truly love and enjoy (I'm doing better at this and have had some great social times with friends), keep in contact with those that don't live near (I did really well with this last year through my year of writing letters- which I still need to post about) but now that the letter writing goal is over I feel like I'm doing less of that- shame on me, spending time with hubby (quality time just the two of us and quality time with our kids- the four of us). The list could go on and on and then last week I go to this wonderful writing conference and I kept hearing "just write, just write, just write".  So another goal/dream to add to the list of the weekly "to do's".  So below is something I found and I think you could switch out writing for running, parenting, reading, calling a friend, etc and the message is the same- make the time.  So even if you aren't a writer maybe the below will remind you as it did me of ways to make all those "to do's" work so goals/ideas/dreams come to fruition.  

Below taken from Sarah Selecky website:  check her out if interested in writing...

Your writing doesn't take time, it makes time.

Time is the substance from which I am made. Time is a river that carries me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger that devours me, but I am the tiger; it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire. – Jorge Luis Borges
Your life is busy. More than usual – more than ever.
People depend on you: your partner, your co-workers, your children.
You work long hours/ you just moved/ you just started a new job.
You already wake up early to meditate/work out/ practice yoga/ commute.
You have rescue dogs/elderly parents/a newborn/376 emails in your inbox.
You’re on the board, you belong to the book club, you are your sister’s wedding planner, you’re renovating your kitchen, selling your boat, revising your resume and looking for a job, Occupying the streets.
Forget about cooking dinner and doing laundry.
There are a finite number of hours in a day. Most of yours are non-negotiable.
These are not excuses: this is your full and beautiful (sometimes overwhelming) life!
How are you supposed to find time to write?
Here are five things I know about time:
  1. Einstein proved that time is relative. It feels absolute, but it isn’t. You make time. It comes from you.
  2. You can’t do everything for everyone and write. (You can’t do everything for everyone, period.)
  3. You are in charge of setting your own priorities around time. Your life is your own because you built it that way.
  4. When you complain about not having enough time to write, you are actually complaining about the decisions you have made.
  5. Balance is a verb, not a noun. Your life balance can’t be graphed on a pie chart – not if you’re living it.
Time for writing will not appear for you if you are not writing. You have to make it. You have to rebuild your life so that you write in it. There is no other way.
When you make time for writing, it will probably feel, at first, as though you are breaking your life. That’s okay. Think of your life as a glow stick: you have to break it to make it illuminate.
DO THIS NOW:
Try this experiment. For one week, write instead of doing something else.
Write instead of checking your email.
Write instead of meditating.
Write instead of reading the newspaper.
Write instead of phoning your parents.
Write instead of grocery shopping.
Write instead of going to work.
Write instead of taking a shower.
Do this every single day for one week, and tell me what happens.
One more thing: in my experience, thinking about not writing takes more time than writing does.
love,


1 comment:

  1. Too funny! I just read that last night. Did you listen too the radio lab podcast with it? That made me feel like I need to cheat time today and also understand why some of the busiest people are more efficient with their time! Great post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete